[There is an old, tatty stained
sofa in the background with a similarly stained pillow draped in a thin
blanket. In the foreground is a small wooden table with a faded Nescafe jar
containing a few copper coins, a stack of papers to the side. Underneath the
dusty window stands a rusty radiator. Dangling above the table is an exposed
light bulb. Stanley is sat
on a wooden stool behind the table, with his back to a wall twiddling with a 2p
coin.]
I did used
to work y’know? I wasn’t a leech of society I am now.
[Flips 2p coin in the air and catches it]
It was
nothing important, unless you can count binning gone off food and mopping up
toilets for 16 hours a week important.
Not that I
complained, I was thankful. Chucking rancid milk for a living? If you can call
this living.
[Flips coin again]
I earned
barely enough to keep me head above water. Rent in this part of town wasn’t too
much, enough so that someone like me could afford a roof o’er me head. I can’t
say I was happy with me situation but it could’ve definitely could have been
worse. I had the bare essentials, roof, clothes, food and heating.
[He motions with his head towards the radiator
opposite.]
I did a
good job, I was a good employee. I was earning a crumb above the minimum wage,
but at least I was earning something.
I’m telling you, its all about who you know.
I’ve seen
it happen to others. You slip up once, it’s no big deal. Twice? Suddenly ‘your
service are no longer required’. Basically someone the manager knows needs a
job and you’ve given them an excuse.
I mean, it
was going in the bin anyway, I didn’t think it be a problem.
You’d think
getting another job would be easier than getting your first job.
[Flips coin]
Nope.
[Catches coin, leans forward]
Nowhere
will have me; my former manager won’t give a reference. Says ‘there’s no
point’, says ‘a thief like me would be lucky’. They’ve always had it in for me.
It’s funny, in a way it was them who drove me to it.
[Deposits coin into jar]
The ironic
thing is I’m getting more now than I was when I was working. [Slight
Chuckle] I can see why
people wouldn’t work when you can make a living doing nothing. And the people like former me have to pay for it! All if
have to do is leave the flat every week to deposit the cheque.
[Hacking cough]
Been getting tired recently, I don’t know why.
No comments:
Post a Comment