Saturday, 11 October 2014

Gods Among Us Commentary

English Gods Among Us Commentary

The audience I am aiming at is people with an interest with movies and that industry as well as young adults (20’s/30’s) as the topic of the article spans back 10/20 years to current times. I open my Gods Among Us article with a direct challenge to the reader in order to immediately engage them with the article and to urge them to continue reading. With the reader at this point captured by the article, I start to lay out my reasons for Tarantino being classed as a ‘God’ in the industry, which will hopefully evoke one of two responses from the reader, those being that they either;
  1. Agree and continue reading because they agree.
  2. Disagree and continue reading to hear my side of the debate to counter with theirs.
I continue with my argument by using repetition to force my point that this director has made many great films consecutively by saying ‘hit after hit after hit’, followed by pop-cultures references as evidence of this when I reference ‘Reservoir Dogs’ (which I in turn follow with the bold statement that it is heralded as ‘The Greatest Independent Movie of all Time’) and later in the article reference that the next title is the equally famous ‘Pulp Fiction’. Following the Reservoir Dogs reference I use a comparison of another famous director (Steven Spielberg) combined with pop-culture reference with ‘Jaws’. The intent of this is that it hopefully puts my argument into perspective to the reader. I close of the opening paragraph with a declarative statement to illicit more debate from the readers who disagree with me.

In the following paragraph I use the metaphor ‘Pulp Fiction … regarded as Tarantino’s masterpiece’. I use this metaphor as ‘masterpiece’ generally makes you think of art and all the connotations that art brings with it. I couple this more pop-culture references by mentioning actors ‘Samuel L Jackson, John Travolta and Bruce Willis’ who are all accomplished actors and show they type of talent Tarantino attracts. Using both of these techniques aides my case during this section of the article.
                                                                                     
Next paragraph, I acknowledge the opposing opinion to avoid a disconnect from the readers whose opinions on the subject disagree with those in the article, which keeps them engaged with the article, as the  articles objective is to persuade/argue my point. I also use jargon appropriate to the movie industry, when I use the term ‘Cinematography’ which refers to the way Tarantino films his scenes. This adds to the credibility and legitimacy to the argument I am making as it displays knowledge and understanding of the subject.
I begin to reach the conclusion of my article I give a brief overview of Tarantino’s career so far as further evidence of my case which contains small amounts of my own personal opinion to add personal feel to the article so the reader can visualise the other side of the debate. I then conclude the article by conceding ground to the opposing argument which lets the reader know that this argument put forward considers other opinions and is for open debate and not bias, one sided argument, meaning they are more receptive of the argument which helps achieve the purpose of the article which is to persuade the reader of my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. An excellent range of well-made points. The filmic references are not strictly 'pop culture' as they are from the field you are writing in. Just call them references or say 'I referenced'. I really liked the section on the metaphor "masterpiece" where you examined the connotations and showed how they supported your argument in a subtle way... and then how you went on to show how another technique complemented this. That kind of paragraph is A-grade, although you needed to be slightly more explicit about how the art connotations suited the GAP - I understood it but you need to spell it out a little more clearly to prove your cleverness! Make sure you give each point the support it needs before you link on to the next point, as many of the other points are not fully convincing.

    ReplyDelete